Module 4: Therapeutics
The following elements are required for prescriptions in outpatient settings:
- Name, address, date of birth, and health care identification number
- Name, address, telephone of prescriber and registration number
- Generic name of the drug and strength
- Dosage form (tablet, capsule, patch etc.), total number required
- Frequency and route
- Indication for use
- Dispensing instructions
- Number of pills
- Dispensing interval
- Additional instructions
- Signature of prescriber and date
Collaboration with the staff at the identified pharmacy is always important when initiating a prescription for a CDS. Communication regarding the presence of a treatment agreement, prescription intent, and prescriber contact information is often appreciated by the dispensing pharmacist.
Note: In most jurisdictions, patients are required to have identification when picking up medication from the pharmacy.