Lesson 2: 3/13 — Prior to CDS prescribing
Module 4: Therapeutics
Prior to CDS prescribing
- Before prescribing a CDS, it is important to ensure that a comprehensive assessment and medication reconciliation has been carried out and documented. Some additional considerations include:
- Are other CDS being used currently?
- Is a taper of the other CDS warranted?
- Is there risk (safety/addiction)?
- Perform CDS risk screening and establish baseline.
- Collaborate with the patient regarding the prescription.
- Explain the benefits, adverse effects, complications, and risks, including:
- What treatment success looks like.
- The overall plan of care:
- A treatment agreement that specifies the expectations of both the patient and prescriber
- The terms of a medication trial (when it starts; what the medication and dose is; whether there will be titration; when to taper or discontinue)