Module 2: Basic Pharmacology of Controlled Drugs and Substances
Cannabinoids – Learning activities
Clearing the Smoke
Read the article from the Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse (CCSA) “Clearing the Smoke on Cannabis: Medical use of Cannabis and Cannabinoids” (Kalant & Porath-Wallar, 2012), the fifth and final report that presents an evidence-based review of the medical uses of cannabis and cannabinoids. This report, and further research into the therapeutic effects of cannabinoids will help NPs make informed decisions about the medical use of these drugs and their potential to treat certain health conditions and symptoms. Visit Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse’s website to access other reports in the series.
Reflect on the following questions:
- When referring to cannabis use, what does chronic use mean?
- How prevalent is the use of cannabis?
- How does cannabis effect brain functioning?
- What are the current challenges of substance abuse/misuse in Canada?
- How do licit and illicit controlled drugs influence pregnancy and early childhood?