Module 1: Professional Accountability and Prescribing
Laureen – A case study learning activity
To help inform care for this Laureen, a clinical practice guideline specific to treatment for restless leg syndrome may be useful. A search on the NGC website identifies a CPG published in 2012 that is specific to the condition, and completed by an external group, the American Association of Sleep Medicine (AASM).
Questions for Reflection
- Is this a credible website from which to download this guideline?
(HINT – Refer to criteria in Appendix ‘A’)
- Did this group conduct a comprehensive literature search to obtain all credible articles for guideline development?
- Did this group clearly identify the PICO to guide their search and focus their guideline?
(HINT – refer to criteria in Appendix ‘A’)
- Select any critical appraisal tool specially designed for clinical practice guidelines (note the link below to the sample CADTH tool). The critical appraisal tool contains a question that asks about conflict of interest. Did the authors of this AASM guideline declare their conflict of interest?
(HINT – Refer to section 3.5 of their document)
- Did the authors clearly identify how they rated each article being considered for guideline development as low-moderate-high, etc?
(HINT – Refer to Tables 2 and 3)
- CADTH Critical Appraisal of Clinical Practice Guidelines
- Lesson 5 – Appendix B – Sample Critical Appraisal of a RLS Clinical Practice Guideline