Module 1: Professional Accountability and Prescribing
Learning activity concerning protection of personal health information
Learning Activity: Read the following resources:
- CNA Code of Ethics, Maintaining Privacy and Confidentiality (2008, p. 15 -16).
- Canadian Nurses Association (2011). Fact sheet: Privacy of Health Information.
Investigate legislation specific to your jurisdiction by answering the following questions:
- What privacy acts are relevant to my jurisdiction? HINT: See Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada. (2014).
- Fact Sheet: Privacy Legislation in Canada. Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (2014). See Office of Privacy Commissioner of Canada’s Fact Sheet (2014). Click on the link at the bottom of the page “What Organization to Contact If You Have a Privacy Issue” to investigate your jurisdictional laws.
- How does my regulatory body guide me in conforming to the act?
- HINT: Search your regulatory website
- What resources are available to the public that protects access to health information?
- HINT: Investigate your jurisdictional Ministry of Health website.
- What tools does my employment agency have to support my efforts to maintain privacy and confidentiality?